The post holder will have the overall responsibility for the successful management and implementation of Integrated Maternal Newborn and Child Health programme to be implemented in the whole Chin State, funded by the Access to Health Fund (A2H) in Myanmar. The post holder has to provide technical support in the field, conduct monitoring and supervision visits, and manage the team and report. The post holder will ensure close coordination with all stakeholders of interest and other SCI programme in the same area. The post holder has to provide support to the township health departments in terms of financial management, supply management, reporting of health information and others as indicated by the specific situation of the Township. This will include support for management and utilization of World Bank budgets for operations support costs for health facilities at the township. The post holder has to define an approach to delivery of Behaviour Change Communication Interventions, including through community-based approaches. S/he has to define how the unintentional systematic or occasional exclusion of marginalized groups will be avoided during the implementation of the program, including how barriers (e.g. gender, ethnicity, poverty) which might limit access to health services will be addressed during the planning of service delivery. S/he has to determine approaches leading towards gender equality with reference to local gendered and social practices and attitudes which influence health behaviour.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Senior Regional Operation Manager (Chin) and Head of Program (Health)
Direct Reports: All technical and budget matters with relevant Program Coordinators in the field.
Financial Approval: Budget Allocation on General Funds over 10,000 USD
External Representation: Interpersonal contact regular and varied, involved negotiation, influencing kills, and representation at District / Provincial level and donor visits
Travel: Frequent (over 6 days per month)
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Responsible for the timely, efficient and effective implementation of the Health project in Chin funded through the grant mentioned above.
- Maintain oversight of budget expenditure in collaboration with Awards at the head office and provide support to responsible for budget forecasting and re-phasals to avoid large variance margins for both Underspends and Overspends.
- Responsible for reviewing program targets, status of achievements and adjusting budget forecasting through ensuring a close consultative, coordinated work between Finance/budget staff and program/technical staff.
- Lead in the development of work plans and project reviews, and participate to strategy reviews.
- Ensure implementation of project activities in accordance with the work plans and budgets, through regular guidance and field monitoring.
- Cultivate partnerships with local Community Based Organizations / Civil Society Organizations.
- Discuss variances in the work plan and unmet targets with field teams and Technical Advisors, and facilitate resolution of problems in a participatory way.
- Coordinate the delivery of training activities for these projects, ensuring that feedback on training materials and tools are fed back to allow for continuous improvement.
- Contribute and support the development and implementation of the advocacy strategy.
- Through remote monitoring as well as regular field visits, provide technical supervision and management guidance to the project staff for successful project implementation.
- Provide opportunities for staff development, including close collaboration and learning across offices.
- Ensure compliance to systems and processes for planning and reporting to the donor.
- Ensure timely delivery of supplies and funds to project sites.
- Work collaboratively with other teams to ensure the effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of the program and that any learning is built into the design of future program work (especially as regards impact, sustainability and replicability).
- Work in close and direct liaison with the Head of Health Program and the Health Technical Advisers to ensure quality project implementation and coherence with other 3MDG projects implemented by Save the Children in other parts of the country.
- Ensure accountability systems are in place and facilitate to ensure that implementation meet SCI’s accountability standards.
- Support the program team’s efforts at maintaining and increasing the technical quality of the project and the capacities of the implementation team.
- Coordinate with Senior Programme Manager and partners for effective implementation of the activities in the whole Chin State.
- Overall budget oversight and responsibility for the grant mentioned above.
- The Project Manager will delegate budget management to secondary budget holders as required by the specifics of the project budget responsibility.
- Monitor the project to ensure that it is implemented in line with the agreed budget, and that transactions comply with Save the Children’s and the donor’s financial and compliance policies.
- Identify budget variances in time and take immediate and appropriate measures to reduce the variance, working with Technical Advisors as well as Awards Management and Finance teams in Yangon.
- Lead the discussion on this grant at the regular Finance & Grant meetings in Yangon.
- Coordinate with Technical Advisors and the Head of Health Program to prepare requests for budget revisions, realignment and other grant modifications.
- Maintain a close relationship with the Awards Management team on this grant, and in particular when issues or changes need to be brought to the donor’s attention.
- Prepare quality narrative donor reports (with support from the Technical Advisors and the Head of Health.
- Program) and the financial reports (produced by the Awards Management team), in time.
Coordination and representation
- Liaise with Fund Management Office representatives, implementing partners, any other CBOs/CSO to be identified during project implementation, State and township authorities, and village leaders as the main representative of the project.
- Organize and participate in field visits by donors or other organizations.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with key programmatic counterparts, including donor representatives, community representatives, and regional officials, as well as other implementing partners in other areas.
- Maintain effective coordination with other Save the Children projects in the same area.
- Motivate and encourage staff to engage with village community groups to support community-driven and community-led project implementation and development.
- Ensure the entire project staff be abide to the Do No Harm approach to programming at all time and in compliance with Save the Children policies and guidelines.
Child Safeguarding Responsibilities
Ensure that staff providing all beneficiaries of your programme with ongoing, age-appropriate verbal or written information in relevant languages about Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- At least 7 years’ experience in related field.
- Bachelor’s degree, and preferably post-graduate university degree, ideally in a subject related to public health, community development or civil society.
Communication and Technical Skills
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent personal organizational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Willingness to travel to field offices and work in difficult environment according to travel requirements.
- Excellent Significant people management skills/experience and proven ability to create an environment which encourages team-working and motivates a team across various geographical areas.
- At least 3 years of management experience (Manager levels).
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization developing effective working relationships to deliver outstanding results for children.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
- Willingness and capability to comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to health and safety, security, equal opportunities and other relevant policies, including the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Demonstrated successful project management experience.
- Experience with health sector programming.
- Experience working on community-driven projects, supporting community structures and leaders to implement projects.
Experience working with the Ministry of Health at Township and Regional levels.