MEL Coordinator (Mon, Karen, Shan, Kayan or Karenni)
MEL Coordinator, with support from Head of MEL, will operationalize and strengthen the MEC MEL systems and to develop the capacity of partner organizations to strengthen their existing M&E systems and approaches for Mother Tongue-Based Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE).
S/he will be providing high quality technical support for monitoring and variance analysis, ensuring data management and data collection by providing methodology and tools at project level, ensuring quality of data in partners’ systems, approaches and practices.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
The MEL Coordinator will be the technical coordinator for MEL approach implementation and link between the MEL and other MEC program teams. The MEL Coordinator will be expected to lead on MEC partners’ M&E system implementation with at least 30 % time allocation for field visits. The post holder will be expected to mentor and/or build capacity for project level monitoring to ensure that timely information is generated to document lessons for enhancing project management performance. S/he will have a key role in establishing and promoting systems for continuous quality enhancement and accountability of MEC to its beneficiaries and donors. The scope will also extend for capacity assessment of partners on MEL structures and practice and thus enhance MEL systems among partners of MEC.
Reports to: Head of MEL, MEC Head Office, Yangon.
Direct Reports: None
Financial Approval: No financial approval
External Representation: No regular contact
Travel: Up to 10 days a month
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Design MEL Plans and provide support to program teams to implement MEL plans to facilitate output or result based monitoring against logical/results and other frameworks.
- Provide technical support to develop clear, systematic and feasible monitoring methodologies and tools for projects, based on project logical/result frameworks including data collection-frequency and data management.
- Ensure by supporting project staffs to collect output monitoring data in a timely manner and collate/organize data received for management decisions and reporting requirements.
- Build capacity of partners’ M&E staff/teams in the field and provide technical support for data quality assurance and share the findings with concerned project team members for timely adjustment and correction.
- Coordinate and prepare reports as needed on quality information related to MTB-MLE.
- Provide support for baselines, end lines, and internal evaluations by contributing technical expertise on methodology and tools including training and supervision of enumerators for data collection and management.
- Review current practices of project monitoring (assessment, situation analysis/baseline, indicators, data collection/management and reporting); identify strengths, weaknesses and opportunities of the current systems and approaches to suggest improvements.
- Develop effective working coordination of M&E field teams with other MEC teams by enhancing their understanding on quality monitoring through trainings, orientations and at cross sector team meetings.
- Train and provide support to program and partner organizations for supporting quality monitoring in the field for partner activities and ensure that they are conducted in a regular frequency and for all partners.
- Ensure that periodic M&E analysis of partner reports are shared and debriefed at different levels; action plans for addressing the quality gaps are developed and followed up.
- Field monitoring for supporting the improvement of quality monitoring system with respect to preparation of action plans and closing quality gaps.
- In order to promote learning ensure new analysis and information is constantly available from reporting systems.
- Conduct regular action learning exercises with program and partner organizations including school level to generate information on good practices.
- Ensure new learning are systematically documented and shared among wider MEC teams.
- Support M&E team to conduct research in respective themes when needed.
- Participate in designing and implementation of studies and assessments in coordination with other M&E, program and communication staff.
- Contribute towards improving the MEL system through continuous dialogue and lessons learnt from practice with partners.
Leadership and Team Development
- Build optimal working relationships with all MEC program teams and M&E partner staff.
- Contribute to the processes of the MEC semi-annual and annual report to donor.
Child Sageguarding Responsibilities:
Ensure that your staff is providing all beneficiaries of your programme with ongoing, age-appropriate verbal or written information in relevant languages about Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 4 years’ experience in development, humanitarian context working for non-government organizations, UN agencies or consulting firms.
- Experience and knowledge in M&E concepts or research experience; leading/conducting baselines and evaluations; Considerable knowledge and experience on data collection methodologies, tools, analysis and database management.
- Experience in Education and how to measure educational quantitative and qualitative results.
- Desirable: knowledge and experience on ethnic education systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social / Development Sciences, Information Technology or other related subjects.
Communication and Technical Skills
- English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent personal organizational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Willingness to travel to field offices and work in difficult environments according to travel requirements.
- Good people management skills/experience and proven ability to coordinate with different teams and create an environment which encourages team-working and motivates a team across various geographical areas.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization developing effective working relationships to deliver outstanding results for quality education for disadvantaged children belonging to the complimentary education system.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
- Willingness and capability to comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to health and safety, security, equal opportunities and other relevant policies, including the Child Safeguarding Policy.